Adam Klein and Boris Dinkevich join us to talk about the AngularUP Conference in 2016, what's involved in putting on a conference, and fill us in on the huge Angular community in Israel.
The one and only Kara Erickson and one and only Jeremy Elbourn join us to talk about Angular Material.
Angular 2 in the Enterprise
○ Justin Schwartzenberger
○ Mike Brocchi
○ Austin McDaniel aka ngPanda
○ Olivier Combe
● Featured Guests
○ Nhut Tran
○ Gary Trinklein
● Intros & backgrounds
● How was Angular originally introduced into your environment?
● Why did your enterprise chose Angular?
● Did you start using it when it was in alpha/beta/rc ?
○ Is your app released yet ?
○ Did you release with an alpha/beta/rc ?
● What were the challenges in adopting Angular?
○ Process? (red-tape)
● If you have any existing Angular 1.x apps, what are your plans to migrate to Angular 2?
● Did you consider other technologies?
○ Even after adopting angular were you tempted to switch? If so, what tech stack?
● What does the future hold?
○ Lukas’ Observable Cheat Sheet: http://onehungrymind.com/observable-cheat-sheet/
GraphQL Summit: http://graphqlsummit.com/
Hopefully the sessions will be recorded and available later
○ Nodesecurity.io - Audits
○ I did a talk on Angular2 + ThreeJS + WebVR = very interesting stuff should check it out https://github.com/amcdnl/ng2-three
○ CSS related but by ng2 community member -> https://blueprintcss.io -> flexbox grid system
○ Async await debugging in chrome landed - https://twitter.com/addyosmani/status/789126892402204673 - soooo nice!
○ AoT in ngUpgrade is coming!!!! https://twitter.com/robwormald/status/788967912849694720
○ ng europe going on today & tomorrow (https://ngeurope.org/)
○ DevFest FL - https://devfestflorida.org/
○ ng cruise in May 2017 (https://ngcruise.com/)
○ GitKraken - cross platform git tool (https://www.gitkraken.com/)
○ Use ChangeDetectionStrategy.OnPush it’s good for you
Creating Angular 2 UI Libraries
● Intros to everyone and their interest in creating UI Libraries
● CSS and handling styles in UI libraries
● How do you embed css in ui components for distribution?
● How can you distribute sass/less files as well?
● How do you manage parent/children component communication? For example with a tabs component
● What are the important points to check when you want to make your component compatible with AoT?
● How do you build the project where you dev the components (use cli, roll your own server/build/etc)?
● How do you make ui components that work on all environments (browser, web workers, electron, server side, nativescript…)
● Managing documentation for how users consume/implement your components
● What is your strategy for testing your components?
● What is on your wish list that would make everyone’s lives easier?
○ Example of component lib: https://github.com/ocombe/ng2-translate
○ Life Lessons Learned on AngularAir https://devchat.tv/adv-in-angular/114-aia-life-lessons-from-angular-air-jeff-whelpley-angular-remote-conf
○ AoT compilation for webpack:
○ Getcovalent.com would be my plug
○ Guardians 2! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WhQcK-Zaok
○ Nice educational project (non-profit) written with Angular2
Angular Connect and the Future Beyond Final
with Shai Reznik
Favorite talks from panelists
Keynote w/ Igor & Rob
Angular migrations with Todd Motto
Stories behind the scenes with Shai
Reactions from the attendees
What are people excited about?
What are people concerned about?
Getting code to production
What comes next?
React vs Angular articles ad nauseam
Jeff Cross, Workshop - Uri & gil
Serious dev talk - hirez.io
Ultimate Angular - by Lukas Ruebbelke & Todd Motto https://ultimateangular.com/
Angular Nation www.angularnation.org
ngAir 80 - Calm before the storm
Angular 2 release
Angular Native poll https://twitter.com/orgbx/status/778928931219070976
PWA links https://github.com/hemanth/awesome-pwa
Zone Webinar: using new ngModule in Angular 2 w/ Pascal Precht
- D3 + Angular2 Composable Re-usable Charting Framework
AngularConnect: live streams, schedule on the website
Host: Jeff Whelpley
Guests: Misko Hevery, Rob Wormald, Jules Kremer
Panelists: Patrick Stapleton, Justin Schwartzenberger, Olivier Combe, Austin McDaniel, Scott Moss
- How long has it been?
- What is the release name?
- Do you think that Angular 2 is the best solution for enterprise apps right now?
- What about small apps?
- How long has it been since you’ve started working on Angular 2?
- What happens now?
- What are you the most proud of in Angular 2?
- Is there something that you would change now if you had the time to do it over ?
- Will CLI be releasing final at the same time?
- What is your view on convention over configuration?
- Will the docs end up containing any recommended implementation patterns like NgModule strategies, redux, etc or is that an area best left to the community?
- If my setup is ready, is there an interest in using the CLI?
- What is the size of the team working on Angular 2? Compared to Angular 1?
- Will you guys start using semver?
ngAir 79 - ng1 to ng2 Migration with Joe Eames
Joe’s background with migrations
Refactoring your ng1 app before migrating to ng2
Component based architecture
What are the different approaches? 3 options:
Big bang - should only do if takes a couple weeks, less than 10k lines of code
Leave it alone - Maintain it in Angular 1
Slowly convert - Angular 1 app that calls Angular 2 for some pieces
Can convert any Angular 2 component into Angular 1 directive
When slowly converting, important to mitigate risk by doing smaller changesets
Angular 2 an order of magnitude faster
Angular 1 is the slow piece
Overhead with cooridination, but not that much
What to do if no tests in current ng1 app?
Do you need to have two http services running?
What do you think of Angular’s approach to migration compared to Ember’s?
Answer Q&A from Twitter
Angular 2 Migration on Pluralsight https://www.pluralsight.com/courses/migrating-applications-angular-2
Angular Modules - Root Module by John Papa